A site about Christina's year in NY and her adventures in babysitting (nannying) two kids and adventures in NYC YEAH big apple!

Thursday, May 25, 2006

Phases

So, I think in the life of a nanny, there are several phases...
In the first phase, you spend every moment of every day pouring knowledge and fun into their tiny little bodies, exhausting yourself and them by the end of the day. After a nanny finds out this is not either expected NOR sustainable, you settle into phase two. In phase two, the nanny realizes that while caring for children, you can actually get quite a lot of stuff done. You just have to keep them busy, happy, clean, and fed, then basically you can do whatever you want! You could watch TV, pay bills, or fold that huge pile of laundry that's been taking up so much space on your bed that you're being pushed off the side at night. This phase could last as long as a couple of months. The next phase is a catastrophic realization. The realization that in all reality, you really don't have THAT MANY pressing matters to do, and sometimes a nap isn't entirely necessary. You start missing the kids when they nap, because you've really had enough "me" time today. You realize daytime TV is disinteresting and full of reruns, and as a nanny there are only one or two bills to pay. This is what I realized today. I'm so used to a giant sigh of relief when they nap, so I can do what needs to be done, or take a much-needed nap, that today after that sigh of relief, came a few long hours of plain boredom. I kept glancing hopefully at the monitor, hoping he would wake up to play with me. I arrived 10 min. early to pick up 2 year old at school, cause I just missed the little guy! After 3 months of trying to just get through the days, today I got bored. Thought this day would never come!! But I think it's good timing, because now that I have the taking care of them part, and the dont' need that much time to get my stuff done part, I can get to the find fun stuff for the kids to do part. Like a reading hour at a library, a music class, or more trips to the beach (we'll see about that....) Anyway, thought that was pretty interesting.
Today w/ the 5 am wakeup the Dad informed me he wouldn't be home until 7 again. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. Thus I was pretty crabby the first couple hours of my day. After being less-than-a-great-nanny to the kids when they woke up screaming, I had to rush to my bible to get rid of the Parent bitterness quick. That bitterness, it's like a poisen that will ruin your day, or your life! If you don't take care of it pronto. I decided instead of being angry that my life was being gradually stolen from me, one hour at a time, I would just do more things during the workday! Hence, 2 year old and I will be working out with cans doing aerobics in the living room again. I'm writing on the blog while the kids watch Max and Ruby, and I schlepped on loads of self-tanner during the baby's nap (for my trip to Indy this weekend-- much safer to self-tan than to subject your skin to the harmful real sun! Go sunscreen!), and made my weekly phone call to the grandparents while I drove the 2 year old to school.
The Baby even let me stop at starbucks for an iced coffee and some magazine-reading for awhile this morning! Such multi-tasking! So, I'm feeling pretty good about myself and the job. Even though nothing has changed since this morning, my attitude has definately been changed which is huge.
I'm looking to the weekend, baby. :) Indy here we come!
christina

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home