A site about Christina's year in NY and her adventures in babysitting (nannying) two kids and adventures in NYC YEAH big apple!

Friday, March 03, 2006

Can't win 'em all

Hello friends!
so, the last couple of days have been crazy. Betsy was here until Tuesday morning, so Tuesday and Wednesday I recovered from gallavanting all over the city. I'm sure Betsy's still recovering, after the many miles in the freezing cold we walked :)
then yesterday, I had agreed to babysit until 9 ( to clarify, yes, that means I worked for 15 hours. in a row.) because Kid 1 would be at school and so therefore I thought I could handle it. Then about 15 min. before we head to school, we get the phone call every care-giver fears. The school cancellation call. AHHHHHHHHHHHH [insert horror film music here]. So they were both home with me all day and there was a snow storm so no getting out. So it started off bad. Then after both children decided they were both done napping after only 20 min (so note: very tired) and done eating after NOTHING (note: very hungry) and ready for some hearty screaming, I was at the end of my rope. But after talking to The Mom, I realized where I was going wrong. The key to life, apparantly, is lowering your expectations. For instance, I was frustrated b/c all Kid 1 wanted to do was drink milk and watch tv, two things there are rules clearly deliniating usage of. So, kid screams or I follow orders. ahhh. But The Mom said just give him what he wants within reason and don't make him eat. So I threw up my hands, threw in a video, and tried to sit and just breathe for awhile. so it was a long day.
But today was much nicer. Don't get me wrong, I've been running around all day, but the kids aren't as much like the "Satan's spawn" that I was ranting about on the phone to Megan yesterday. :) Which is good. Plus today is Friday and I have tentative plans for the weekend (you know, "hey, we should hang out this weekend! give me a call! ok!" etc.) but nothing set in stone which feels AMAZING and I love weekends like that, where you have options but no obligations. LOVE IT.
the options are:
-Hanging out with my Bronx- sounding friend Regine either today or tomorow.
-Going to a Hoboken, NJ huge St. Patricks day street party with Jodi
-Church and hanging out w/ Regine's church friends on Sat. night
-Kid #2's christening on Sunday.
-Plus I'd really love to see Allie, my friend from Iowa, sometime this weekend. So I might be calling her tonight.
So we'll see! I love options. I also love pants that don't have formula /sweet potato baby food /baby barley cereal all over my pants. But that is clearly not happening today.
Can't win em all, I guess :)
christina
shout out to Hannah and Hailey- We'll get ahold of ea. other sometime! miss and love you and I'll keep trying to call!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home