A site about Christina's year in NY and her adventures in babysitting (nannying) two kids and adventures in NYC YEAH big apple!

Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Lost in translation

Ok, so I'm writing a couple mini-blogs today of things I've been thinking about over the past couple of days.
This one, entitled "Lost in Translation," reflects on some things I'm learning about communication-- with the parents.

1.
For instance, when interviewing, I heard...
"This job is very consistent, you'd start every day at 6 and end at approximately 5 every day!"
But what I'm finding out that means is..
"Yeah, you'll start the job at anytime between 5 and 7. And you'll get off work anytime between 4 and 6. Really it's anyone's guess! It's a fun guessing game! :) "

2.
And when they call and say when they'll be home?
When they say
"I'm leaving the office early, we'll be home at 4 today"
what THAT really means is
"Count on us at 5, 5:30, something will inevitably come up"


3.How about rules?
When they say,
"Please don't let them watch no more than 2 hrs television a day"
They mean,
"...unless they're really cranky, adjusting to a big change in life, us parents are home, it's educational, or the moon is at a certain place in the sky."

So, that's just a little helpful guide for all you nannies out there that might be wondering why YOU can't seem to communicate with your employers. You just need to translate! :) I had the mistaken idea that when I became a nanny, things would start on schedule, there would be scheduled fun events, rules would be set in stone, and the parents would walk in the door at 4:45, ready to take over at 5. But what I'm finding out? Jobs aren't like that, theirs OR mine. And kids aren't like that either, especially when they're not yours. When you're a nanny, you gotta go with the flow, do what they say, even if it's different than yesterday. Sends my mind reeling somedays, when it feels like ALL I WANT is some stability, but I'm rolling with it and trying to be a well-adjusted nanny if it kills me :)
love you all
christina


Maybe this will help out nannies out there that are ALSO confused as to understanding what their employers are saying. Feel free to

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home