A site about Christina's year in NY and her adventures in babysitting (nannying) two kids and adventures in NYC YEAH big apple!

Sunday, March 05, 2006

Ja- Ja- Jaded

Today is christening day, so our house is bustling with relatives from out of town. It's fun (and yet of course a bit awkward- what isn't?) to meet all these people I've heard so much about and I'm sure they've heard a lot about me, hopefully good :). It's Sunday, so the Irish music is on full blast (The Dad's side is Irish, and very proud of it. And I mean VERY. I think St. Patrick's day is like the apex of their existence every year) anyway so that's what's going on here. The christening is at 1:30, and we'll leave at one so I have 2 hours to figure out what the heck one wears to a christening. ugh :)
This weekend was good- I hung out with my friend Regine Friday night- we went out for dinner and coffee and just chatted about life. We like ea. other because we both could talk non-stop all day long so we entertain ea. other endlessly with stories and tall tales of our lives. :) So we did that, then she dropped me off at the train station to go into the city to stay with Allie so I could help her move
INTO HER NEW APARTMENT the next day.
ON THE UPPER WEST SIDE! It's an amazing location, an amazing neighborhood, a really gorgeous building. For cheap. So anyway, I headed down there but not before waiting like 30 min. in the terminal thing reading the newspaper about all the horrible things that have gone on in the city in the last week. Can you say depressing? A girl my age, in graduate school, was killed and they haven't found the killer yet. So I was nervous already, looking at all the other people in the terminal, wondering if it could be them. So on the way to the city my phone died, and when I finally got into Grand Central Allie had already gone home. So don't worry mom, I was NOT taking the subway all by myself out to Roosevelt Island when there was a killer on the loose, so I took a cab. And the cabbie totally took me for a ride. Literally, went around in circles and ran up the ticket. And I was so frustrated cause I didn't know enough about the area to know for sure. And his little ID tag wasn't hanging, so there was no way I could turn him in. By the time I got dropped off, I was seething. At him and myself. Anyway, so the next day Allie and I spent all day moving into her new place. So great. Her new place is amazing. So that was fun and what an experience, schlepping her huge bags through numerous subways with numerous flights of steps... yeah :) In one subway station, an old guy who looked kind of crazy had spilled his coffee and had kind of fallen down trying to get it, and me and Allie just stood there. Because although you should help people, in NYC the chances are that it's a scam to get some money from you or there's always the chance that someone will hurt you. So we just looked away, until some nice lady helped him up and we helped her, but walking away from that I thought, "Man, how jaded am I that I just assume it's a well-oiled scam to get money from innocent people? I must really be a new yorker now!" So, by the end of the day we were both totally exhausted. So I rushed back here to go to night church but I got back about 45 min. too late so I went shopping and to a movie. (good shopping, good movie, good alone time. really good alone time :) ) I found such good stuff, I called all the most fashionable people I know to let them know that I got the coveted gold strappy stilleto heels from BCBG for only $7. Most of you won't understand that, but if you do, yeah I know! Isn't that amazing! :) Anyway, so walking home from the movie I heard whistling etc. (Not uncommon at ALL up here) And I thought I hope they know they don't want to mess with me. I am annoyed enough with that type of guy to use my cowboy boots to severly hurt them. So yeah, I'm a New Yorker. I just don't know how I feel about that- the jadedness that comes with it and the cynical worldview. Anyway, better get ready for the christening! love you all!
Christina

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home