A site about Christina's year in NY and her adventures in babysitting (nannying) two kids and adventures in NYC YEAH big apple!

Thursday, June 22, 2006

Trust

You know what one of the best things about being a nanny is? The trust.
ok time out... the 2 year old is sitting here wanting to push buttons, so here is a little ditty from him...
guyvtfuygiu76875976 7y7687ndn
Ok, I've got him happy with some coloring pages now...
Anyway, as I was saying, I love the trust. Not of the parents, of the kids! Like how the 2 year old doesn't even have to be asked to let me take off his shoes after coming inside, he just lifts a foot up behind and I change his shoes while he stands there, like one would shod a horse. And how he stands quietly at the top of the stairs with one hand held up, knowing that I'll grab ahold and we'll walk down together. Isn't that great? Love it.
After the first couple months, I thought, there is no way I'm going to be a mother for a very, very long time. The long hours, the constant responsibility, the getting no sleep! I was sure that mothering was something that I would want to put off as long as possible.
But, it's growing on me. I think my stance now is, I love caring for kids, but the next time I take care of kids full time I want them to be my own. There is something that will always be awkward about taking care of someone else's children. Different parenting skills, different ideas of what 6:00 means, different discipline styles (I do, they don't :) haha.)
So anyway, that's how I feel about that. Other than knowing that, I've also decided in the last month or two that I will be finished with my job here after my contracted year. I debated staying for another couple of months, but I feel like for a lot of reasons, it's not the best idea. New York has been a great experience, but I don't think it's supposed to be my home for good, you know? And you know what? Even though I love traveling and living different exciting places, it gets weary on a soul, making friends and settling in somewhere only to have your roots ripped up and having to start over. So, wouldn't it be great to move somewhere that I might want to stay? To make friends and connections that I could really settle into? That's what I'm thinking. I'm not saying for sure where I'll be moving, but you can be sure it'll be within my new rule- within a 12 hour drive of home. :) Also, I know that I don't want to be a nanny anymore, even though I love these kids like mad. I want my own place, my own car to drive to church and not worry when church goes late because it's gotta be home by 10 on the dot. Is that too much to ask? :) So that's how I feel about THAT!
The last week has been pretty fun, I'm trying to really take advantage of summer being here, so we've been going on walks, we've instituted a 15-20 minute cardio dance party every morning (The 2 year old is quite the dancer) and hanging out outside every day. It's weird, being done with school and not getting a specific date when the summer fun starts. You know, the day you get out of school and run home to put your bathing suit on even though the spring chill is still in the air? Well, in the real world, turns out that nothing really changes other than the weather! Weird! So, I had to make a realization- IT'S SUMMER NOW! ENJOY IT! So, we've been trying :) and it's been fun.
ZZ (That was Reily's stuffed puppy, apparantly he wanted to type too haha)
Things here are good, the bump on the baby's head is going down, and I'm not feeling like such a horrible nanny today. 2 year old and I have to go have our special dance party time before the baby wakes up from his nap. Fun! Matt, I'm pumped about your new job, that's awesome! Are you going to have less time to practice your sweet dance moves now that you'll be so busy with the new job? Because I'm getting lots of practice every morning, so you better keep up. At the next wedding you'll be blown away by my moves! :) haha.
love you all
christina

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home