A site about Christina's year in NY and her adventures in babysitting (nannying) two kids and adventures in NYC YEAH big apple!

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

headed HOME! (well, to Iowa at least)

headed back to iowa for a wedding today, will be in my favorite state for a couple days then heading back here for a much-needed break from traveling. whew it's been a crazy couple of weeks! today, I actually answered to "mommy." must have been out in the heat too long haha.
The mom's getting home in a couple minutes to relieve me from work to rush to the airport, but I'll elaborate quickly on the toilet story.
OK, so my friends arrive here, only to find out that the toilet has just broken (by no fault of mine, I assure you.) I tried to act positive, since my friends did just spend a whole day on a plane goingn all over the country AND stopping once for gas because of some weather. I quick thought up a plan... "OK, guys, here's the deal. I don't know when this is gonna get fixed, so we're going to have to make do. We'll make good usage of toilets elsewhere and if push comes to shove and we just have to go #1, we use the shower! No big deal!" Of course inside, I'm thinking.. "Use the shower? What kind of barbarian must they think I am? Ick!" But don't judge us! What choice did we have? I had assured the parents of the kids that my friends would "only be here to sleep" since the parents suddenly had a problem with friends coming to stay. Because of this, the frequent treks up to the parents bathroom just steps from their bedroom door would just not be acceptable. So, we made do. Only once did we have to make the tiptoe trek upstairs during the middle of the night for an emergency REAL TOILET stop. I can't believe I'm telling you all this, but I just can't help myself. I mean, this is my life. Why does stuff like this happen to me? Probably because God knows I can handle it, that instead of sending me crying on the floor, it makes me laugh instead. :) The good thing is, my friends were really good sports about it, and we all adjusted to the plan pretty easily. I DID assure them that I would be bleaching the entire shower and shower curtain, after on the last day Hannah informed me that her feet were sticking to the floor a bit! Eww! But anyway, that's life :)
Being home was so good.
SO SO GOOD.
After arriving at the family reunion in what I felt was a very cute little New Yorker outfit, the intense HEAT (that I'm so not used to, spending all day in a cushy AC'd house) sent me straight to the pool, which we basically didn't leave all weekend. Of course I didn't pack AT ALL for this little plan, so I had to make a last-minute trip to Walmart to get some pool clothes. It actually didn't turn out that bad, though, because shopping at Walmart (there aren't any around here surprisingly enough) was AMAZING! You can buy so much stuff there for little money! So much more than in New York! so I didn't mind. I mean, who can really complain about "having" to buy new clothes, I mean come on. So that was so good.
Two girlfriends at the reunion this year. I don't know that significant others have ever come to a family reunion before, but Katie's been around so long that she practically IS family already, and Amy is quite a nice addition as well, if I say so myself. Her and Scott are still in the honeymoon stage of their relationship, I think, so they're a little different than Katie and Brett, who have been dating since they were toddlers or something like that (haha jk guys!) No, but it was cool to have them there. Really missed the family that wasn't there, though! Sarah Moore, missed you! Come back to us! Her dad sure misses her too, I'm sure he'll be happy to have her home. Since she's been in Michigan he's been just looking for reasons to go visit that girl. So sweet. Let's see, what else happened. It was just a really low-key reunion. I like some structure to my vaca's (just ask the people who've gone on spring break with me and hopped into the car to be greeted with a packet of information of all the towns we'll drive through, options for food and eating, and coupons I've garnered from the web,) so I didn't know how I would like it, but it was great. Not to say I'm not already training for the dance-off and three-legged races that will be held at next year's event, but this was really nice. Kudos to Allison. A wonderful time was had by all. Ok, i have to finish getting ready for Iowa so everyone, have a nice weekend and keep cool! I know I'll be trying!
christina

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home