A site about Christina's year in NY and her adventures in babysitting (nannying) two kids and adventures in NYC YEAH big apple!

Monday, June 26, 2006

Hilary Duff sighting!

I tell you what, you haven't experienced fun until you've cleaned baby poop out of a baby chair and numerous stuffed animals. I really don't even know how this situation happened, actually. One minute we're all playing happily, then the all-too-familiar smell of dirty "dipe" and what? How did that get all over in the last 5 minutes? Welcome to nanny-hood. :) Ahh finally the dirty little kid is napping, and terrible Two and I are hanging out downstairs. Whew. Just finished out early-morning cardio dance party, and whoah am I tired! Tossing a 40 lb kid (is that how much 2 year olds weigh? I'm totally guessing here) is good for your upper arm muscles, but gets old real fast. Haha. Anyway, whew. What a workout. This morning I came upstairs to hear "No Stina! No Stina" by a very whiney terrible two. Ugh. What a start to the week! Of course, I stepped right back into "firm yet kind" discipline queen mode, and made it very clear that all the whining wasn't going to be tolerated. Don't know how well that was understood, but a girls gotta try, right? haha. He was convinced his shorts were too big, and wanted to spend the morning dancing around in just a diaper, which I let him do for awhile. Gotta pick your battles. :)
This weekend was awesome- God blessed me with a new friend, Lauren, who I met at bible study, and she is aweeeeeeeesome. We had the best time in the city last night, we hit up the Times Square church (huge, huge, huge church in Times Square, of course) The church is held in an former Broadway musical space, so it's huge and gorgeous and the choir made me feel like I was at an old school revival! I won't be packing up and leaving my current church or anything, but it was so cool to see people of all ages and races raising their hands to praise God. It really was a funny, cool experience to see businessmen, old ladies, and people who looked like they could have been in a hip-hop music video singing and dancing like there was no tomorow. :) And awesome to have someone to share it with, too! My friend Lauren is the perfect "explore the city" friend and I'm thinking it's the beginning of a beautiful friendship. Too bad after my 1/2 hour of trying to find the best "walk around the city in the rain before going to church" outfit, of course the one I chose was completely innapropriate, for the sun started shining the minute we got there and I was blisteringly hot under my puffy vest. Oh well, you can't win every time :) hehe. Gave us the opportunity to scour the tourist shops for a quick fix to my wardrobe malfunction and make fun of tourists and the funny things they buy. Also- we saw Hilary Duff! We were walking to the church, and Lauren said "Hey, um, is that Hilary Duff over there?" I looked, and yes, it was! She was wearing black leggings, flip-flops, a red tank, and just had a friend or two with her. They were hailing a cab. Not tooooooo exciting, but we agreed that she really did look as pretty in person as she does in the magazines and TV. The cool thing was- today she was on Live with Regis and Kelly and so it confirmed that she was indeed in the city and it was indeed her. (Well, to me it confirmed it haha) Really my first celebrity sighting, so I felt like more of a New Yorker somehow.
(for all you older adults 'grandparents', Hilary Duff is an actress and singer)
And I had a great talk with friend and cousin Crystal last night- so missed her voice and her honesty and loved talking to her- She's going through what I've kind of been going through and basically everyone who graduated recently is too--
the Quarter-life Crisis.
What to do with my life? The big question! Too many options! So it was good to talk to her about what I've been learning so far, although I think I'm still in the depths of the crisis sometimes. You dont' figure it all out in one big feel swoop, you know! Anyway, terrible two and I are hungry, we're going to go scrounge up some food upstairs and have some quality time while baby is sleeping (thankfully :) )
God is good, all the time, we just have to quit fighting him and go his way.
That's what I've been learning :)
christina

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Christina,

Hey you! I hope this finds you doing well on the day after the fourth. I looked at your pictures on facebook and am extremely jealous...first you're in NYC...and second you got to spend time with Patrick!!! I miss that kid.

I was reading some of your blog and I find it so interesting. I was a Nanny for three summers in a row and have gone through some of the same things you're going through. The "parent's" never cease to amaze me...sometimes I wished I could fire them as parents and take the kids for myself.

I'll say some prayers for you..I know I needed a lot of prayer when I was a nanny.

Again, I hope all is well. All the blessings Christ,

With love,
AMBER

11:16 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home