A site about Christina's year in NY and her adventures in babysitting (nannying) two kids and adventures in NYC YEAH big apple!

Thursday, September 28, 2006

Dream-killer nanny

Been thinking about dreams today.
Mostly because I've taken to thinking of myself as the "baby dream-killer" because I feel like I'm crushing the little guy's dreams all day long. I wish it wasn't so! Don't judge me for my dreamkilling! It just so happens that this baby's biggest dreams consist of, one day, being able to actually crawl into the dishwasher or refridgerator and explore to his heart's content. NOT GONNA HAPPEN. Sorry kid, but letting you crawl into the germ county fair that's partying on in the dishwasher is not my idea of good nannying. So I have to open the fridge super fast and try to get it closed before he crawl-sprints across the kitchen and uses his little baby strength to muscle his way in there. The other day when I was doing dishes, I turned around and he had actually crawled onto the door of the dishwasher. Poor guy was so mad when I set him back on the ground. Why is it that the things he most wants to do are the couple things he can't? Ain't that the way it goes? Eh, that's life. So anyway, my little trouble-maker is so cute :).
And also about dreams, yesterday I remembered a dream that I used to have. It was a recurring dream that I had in junior high/ early high school about coming to New York City. Isn't that funny? That I would just now remember that? What's really funny is that I can remember the dream, and how it made me feel. I loved it because I felt transported to somewhere so different, but looking back, the dream was far far from reality. See, since I'd never visited, I had no idea of what it was actually like, so in the dreams, "Manhattan" was a couple streets long and a couple stories high, and the buildings were just really close together. That was my idea of the city, a couple high buildings shoved together. I think there were a couple clothing stores and a toy store in there as well. ANYWAY this probably isn't making any sense to any of you, but it made tons of sense to me. I dreamed about this! I am, literally, living the dream. Isn't that awesome? God is so good about bringing our lives to exactly where he wants them. Pretty cool. The weird thing about this is that the dream might be over soon, and I'll be moving on to a new dream.
You see, for the first time maybe ever, the bosses are getting nanny-type things done in a timely fashion (maybe TOO timely?) and have already found a nanny candidate that they want to interview in person. When they found me, it was incredibly last minute and I started in two weeks. And now with this girl they're flying her out 2 months before I'm planning to leave? What what?? AND she wants to start right away. So that is pretty crazy news, that there's a possibility that I might be leaving way sooner than I had planned. And despite the rantings about New York and about nannying that I frequently fill the blog with, it's making me really sad! I want to be here for another Winter! I want to iceskate in Central Park again, and see the Rockettes do their Christmas show! I want to do all these things that I haven't done yet. I've kind of made peace in the last couple days about it, but it's still really disconcerting not knowing when I could be heading home.
God has so blessed me here. I mean it, he has given me an amazing church, unlikely friends, and awesome experiences. He's let me live a dream, grow up a little bit, learn how to save money, and enable me with New York driving skills (along with the road rage that comes along with them, oops!) He's adjusting me to the kids' new schedule, and helping me to learn how to be a good mom someday. Ahhh! I'm not ready to leave! But as my grandparents said, he brought me here and blessed me, in his perfect timing (which believe me, I questioned :) ) and he'll bring me back to Iowa in his perfect timing too. SO it is well with my soul. Or at least headed there :)
So yeah, that's my life right now. Still loving my new gym, and my water aerobics class is going good. Skipped last week, so I hope that tonight we don't have the water-nazi teacher that yelled at me last time for checking the clock. I mean, motivation is good, but I was distracted for the rest of the session, thinking of all the comebacks I could have retorted back if I were, indeed, the sort of girl that gets all defensive and talks back to the water aerobics instructor. INSTEAD I just think of things that one MIGHT say :). Ahh my funny little life.
So, this weekend I suppose that I'll try to squeeze in all the city fun that I can while not spending ANY money. Operation pad the bank account has just begun, so no more money spending. I've done really good about paying back loans while I've been here, but now I gotta get serious about just putting the money away for when I go home. NO MORE SPENDING! So I'll hit the free museums on Friday, and who knows what else for the rest of the weekend. Free stuff, for sure. Fun free things. My favorite :)
Love you all
christina

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home