A site about Christina's year in NY and her adventures in babysitting (nannying) two kids and adventures in NYC YEAH big apple!

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Too much information and awkwardness

Ok, so today (the father) was home sick today. He actually TOLD me, the nanny, that he had "the runs" and had vomited. Ak, so if I wanted to know about the bodily functions of those I work for, I would use their bathroom.
I don't.
Anyway, so after THAT awkwardness, it was apparant there would be more. AKA Daddy sleeping upstairs while nanny cared for the children downstairs. Thus every little cry was heard upstairs by the father, who is genetically ingrained to hear every cry or pseudo-cry either of his children utter. (pseudo-cry is the term I just now gave to when #1 starts to cry, but I know he's bluffing, he's faking it to see if it'll get him what he wants. symptoms are no tears, unconvincing belts of tears etc) anyway so that was awkward. included in the awkwardness was when he called me ..from upstairs. ugh :)
And now i've been told that he might need some help with the baby DURING THE NIGHT. WHA....? The mom's gone on business for the week so it's just me and sick Daddy. an interesting week, that's for dang sure.
Anyway, went to my first bible study tonight! I've been going to this church I really like ( wasn't sure the first few times cause the people weren't overly friendly, but I've heard that's just how people are here, takes longer to get to know them or something, you don't get descended on by friendliness after walking into a church... for the record I really personally enjoy the mass assault of friendly people, but this is the new yorkers' state so I'm workin with them on their bad habits)
sorry, that parentheses was so long you may have forgotten what I was talking out, i said I've been going to this church I really like ... and I have been meaning to go to one of the bible studies for awhile, but I had to do research, etc. and put it off, you know, the usual. I mean, hte last thing you want to do after a long day of diaper-changing is going out of your way to do something awkward. so I finally did it and it was amazing. the women were so nice, the study was good, and i'm learning more about the church- all stuff I really like (like they believe in praying for healing with the laying on of hands and annointing of oil-- the Bible tells us to do this and have faith that people will be healed, so why does no one do it?) and one woman actually gave me her # and said I'm free to come over any time! also, I heard that they'res a special young-people church service (sat. nigt- not that good of timing for my Manhattan trips but maybe I can go twice- make friends, then go back to sunday church? we'll see) and also they were telling me lots of nannies go to this church so I can have nanny friends! Christian nanny friends! what a find! I was so happy when I left I almost cried as I walked to my car.
so that was pretty awesome.
I think I won them over with my witticisms about New Yorkers (about how I always get honked at and it really throws me off, then the other day, I decided to try out the honk when this woman was taking her SWEET time at a green light, then to find out she was waiting for a mother and child to cross in front of her. spent the next 10 min. apologizing to the window. ugh) and my gorgeous smile :) my friend Betsy tells me that I have the ability to seem comfortable in really awkward situations even thoughI'm definately not. well, I don't know that that's true but if it is i'm using that trait in overdrive lately. !!!! I better head to bed, I may be the baby-feeder at 2 a.m. so i'll need my rest.
goodnight friends
christina

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home